Bachelor of Science
34 Semester Hours
Elementary Education (Grades 1 – 8):
- ELED 2213 Foundations of Literacy*a
- ELED 3223 Social Studies in the Elementary School
- ELED 4323 Language Arts in the Elementary School
- ELED 3423 Teaching Reading in the Elementary School, Part I*a
- ELED 3433 Teaching Reading in the Elementary School, Part II*a
- ELED 4443 Diagnosis and Remediation of Reading at the Elementary Level*a*b
- ENG 4893 Children’s Literature and Story Telling
- HPER 3553 Elementary School Program
- MATH 4703 Mathematics Methods for Elementary Majors
- SCIE 3123 Science in the Elementary School
*a Must be taken in sequence.
OR the following two courses
- ART 3503 Art in the Elementary Classroom
- MUS 3323 Music Methods and Materials for Classroom Teachers
Teacher Certification Requirements: Elementary Education and Special Education–Mild/Moderate Disabilities majors, beginning the program after September 1, 1997, must be proficient in a foreign language (check with the advisor for details) and must take twelve (12) semester hours from each of the following Liberal Arts and Sciences areas. Most of these courses can be taken within the General Education core:
- Language Arts: ENG 1113, ENG 1213; HUM 2113, or 2223, or 2313; COMM 2213
- Mathematics: MATH 1303, MATH 1513, MATH 3123, MATH 3133
- Social Studies: HIST 1513, HIST 1523; POSC 1513; GEOG 2723
- Science: BIOL 1114, PSCI 1114, SCIE 3224
Note: In addition to the major program, an education degree requires a professional education component (see page 156 of the Academic Catalog for details).
This program requires 55 hours of Liberal Arts and Sciences courses.