SE Academics

Extra-institutional Credit (Non-Formal Credit)

Extra-institutional credit (non-formal credit) is credit granted through means other than the completion of formal college-level courses. Testing is one means of evaluating extra-institutional learning. Testing methods include institutionally prepared examinations, institutionally administered performance testing, and standardized national tests especially designed for the establishment of credit. Noncollegiate sponsored instruction includes military training/learning, workplace courses, etc. The following requirements pertain to all methods of extra-institutional credit described in this section:


Extra-institutional credit earned through any of the following methods must be validated by successful completion of 12 or more semester hours of academic work at Southeastern Oklahoma State University and will be recorded on the transcript only if the student is currently enrolled.


All credit through extra-institutional means will be recorded with a grade of “P”. Only those courses for which the minimum passing score is attained will be recorded.

SE Departmental Advanced Standing Examinations

Advanced standing credit can be earned at Southeastern by evaluating a student’s previous learning experiences through testing. Most departments offer some courses by examination. Students should consult with the chair of the department offering the course of interest as to whether it can be taken by examination.

Application forms for these examinations can be obtained from the office of the appropriate academic dean. Administration of the examination and the granting of the credit must be approved by the respective department chair and the dean of the school.

The charge for administering an institutional advanced standing examination is $7.50 per semester credit hour and must be paid prior to taking the examination. This fee is subject to change.

CLEP Testing Offered by the College Entrance Examination Board

Southeastern is a National (open) testing center. Exams taken through the National or open testing conditions are transferable to any institution accepting CLEP scores (check receiving institution’s criteria for accepting and awarding credit). CLEP exams for which Southeastern awards credit can be found at the following link:

Advanced Placement Credit (AP)

The Advanced Placement (AP) credit, offered through the College Entrance Examination Board, allows high school students to take examinations for credit at the college level. High school counselors assist students with testing arrangements.

Additional information may be obtained from:

SOSU Registrar’s Office
Phone: (580)–745–2165

Credit for Military/Training

Veterans may be granted credit for basic training, for formal service school courses, and for approved college-level examinations passed while in military service. In general, the credit is granted in accordance with the recommendations of the Commission on Accreditation of Service Experiences, an agency of the ACE.Enlisted Army soldiers who entered active duty on or after October 1, 1981, are eligible to obtain an AARTS transcript by writing to Manager, AARTS Operations Center, Ft. Leavenworth, KS 66027-5073. Each request must include the name, basic active service date, social security number and current mailing address.

Additional information may be obtained from:

SOSU Registrar’s Office
Phone: (580)–745–2165

ACE College Credit Recommendation Service(CCRS) (formerly called ACE/PONSI)

The ACE administers the Registry of Credit Recommendations for organizations participating in the CCRS (formerly called PONSI). The registry offers the sponsor’s course participants a permanent, computerized record of all courses evaluated by the College Credit Recommendation Service. Currently enrolled students may be granted credit in accordance with the ACE recommendations, after completion of 12 semester hours of course work at Southeastern Oklahoma State University. To obtain credit, the student must have a transcript provided by the ACE.

For information on obtaining a transcript or additional information, call (202) 939-9433, email, or write to College Credit Recommendation Service, American Council on Education, One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 250, Washington, DC 20036-1193.

Additional information may be obtained from:

SOSU Registrar’s Office
Phone: (580)–745–2165

Correspondence Study

Correspondence courses are not offered at Southeastern Oklahoma State University; however, credit is accepted for most courses completed by correspondence through other accredited institutions. Correspondence work will be recorded on the transcript only if the student is currently enrolled and has successfully completed 12 or more semester hours of academic work at Southeastern Oklahoma State University.

Maximum Credit

Maximum credit accepted through non-formal means (extrainstitutional and correspondence study) depends on the type of degree program a student is pursuing:

  • Non-education Degree:For non-education degree programs (B.A. or B.S.), the amount of non-formal credit (advanced standing, CLEP, correspondence, military training, etc.) which may be awarded shall not exceed one-half of the total semester hours required at the lower-division level, and not more than one-half of the total semester hours required at the upper-division level for the B.A. and B.S. degrees.
  • Education Degree:For education degree programs (B.A. or B.S.), not more than one-fourth of the work used to satisfy requirements in any area of preparation (professional education, general education, specialized education) nor more than one-fourth of the total academic work submitted in an approved teacher-certificate program may be taken by non-formal study (advanced standing, CLEP, correspondence, military training, etc.).