Policy for Addressing Requests for Academic Modifications Under the Americans with Disabilities Act
- The faculty and administration of the University are committed to making appropriate modifications to accommodate the needs of students with disabilities while maintaining the integrity of the programs and courses.
- Requests should be made to the Coordinator for Student Disability Services before the beginning of classes. It is the responsibility of the student to notify the Coordinator as early as possible that she/he may need academic modifications. The students should also make notification of any changes during the semester to the Coordinator.
- Requests for modifications will be handled on a case-by-case basis and in a reasonable length of time.
- When the student provides the requested documentation, the Coordinator will forward the request with a recommendation for action to all parties involved.
- If the student is dissatisfied with the response, she/he may choose to file a written complaint as outlined in the Grievance Procedure for Students with Disabilities.
- The dean, the chair and the faculty may at any time request and the University will provide them legal counsel.
Updated by Committee 1/17/2007