Grievance Procedure for Students with Disabilities
Southeastern Oklahoma State University (SE) has adopted an internal grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints concerning discrimination, accommodations, and/or retaliation for making any such complaints provided by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and/or the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008.
- Complaints should be addressed to the Compliance Officer for SE (Administration Building, Room 311) who has been designated to coordinate compliance efforts.
- A complaint should be filed within fifteen (15) days after the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation.
- A complaint should be filed in writing or on audiotape containing the name, address, and telephone number of the person filing it and a brief description of the alleged violation.
- The SE Compliance Officer should meet with the complainant within ten (10) days to discuss the complaint.
- If an investigation is deemed appropriate by the Compliance Officer, the investigation may be conducted by the Compliance Officer, the Coordinator of Student Disability Services, and the Chair of the Faculty Senate (or a designee). An informal but thorough investigation will be conducted which will allow the complainant an opportunity to submit information or evidence relevant to the complaint.
- A written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, shall be issued by the Compliance Officer and a copy forwarded to the complainant and others deemed appropriate by the Compliance Officer no later than ten (10) days after the investigation is completed.
- The campus Compliance Officer shall maintain files and records of all complaints, investigations, resolutions, and correspondence.
- The complainant may request a review of the matter. Requests for review must be done in writing and must include the reason for review. The complainant should provide as much detail as is necessary to document a position which puts into question the findings of the Compliance Officer. The request for review should be made within ten (10) days of the date of the determination to the Campus Compliance Officer. The review will be heard by the ADA Compliance Committee within fourteen (14) days. The Committee may review evidence gathered by the Compliance Officer’s investigation in addition to conducting its own investigation. The procedures for a review will be followed as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct under Section F. STUDENT DISCIPLINARY APPEALS (Pg. 9), 1. Appeals Process. The basic appeals process and hearing will model a hearing before the Committee on Student Conduct, as detailed in 2. Explanation of Rights and 3. Hearing Before Committee on Student Conduct. A written determination of the Committee’s decision will be issued by the Campus Coordinator within ten (10) days after the investigation is completed. The determination of the Committee will be final and may only be referred to the President if a question exists on procedural matters followed during the review.
Southeastern Oklahoma State University’s effort to provide prompt and equitable resolution of any complaint filed hereunder shall not be impaired by the complainant’s pursuit of other legal remedies under Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act or the ADA Amendments Act. The purpose of these rules is to protect the substantive rights of interested persons, to meet appropriate due process standards, and to assure that SE complies with Sections 504 and 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act and ADA Amendments Act of 2008
Updated by Committee 11/8/06
Revised 1/14/09 in compliance with the
ADA Amendments ACT of 2008 and OCR