ADA Compliance

Policy on Services for Students with Disabilities

(In Compliance with Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA))

General Policy

Southeastern Oklahoma State University complies with The Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504 which states, “No otherwise qualified person with a disability in the United States…shall, solely on the basis of disability, be denied access to, or the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity provided by any institution receiving federal financial assistance.”

Definition of a person with a disability:

A “person with a disability” is someone with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such impairment; or is regarded as having such an impairment.

  1. The Campus Coordinator assumes responsibility for seeing that the University is properly interpreting federal regulations requiring that the University take such steps as are necessary to ensure that no student with a disability is denied the benefits of, excluded from participation in, or otherwise subjected to discrimination because of the absence of reasonable accommodations.
  2. To request accommodations for any public program or service at Southeastern, contact either the Campus Coordinator or the department in charge of the program or service for assistance.
  3. The ADA Compliance Committee is a required committee by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education which consists of representatives from Council of Deans (1), Compliance Officer (1), Coordinator of Disability Services (1), Director of Safety and Security (1), Physical Plant (1), Campus Coordinator (1), Faculty (2), Student Government Association (1), Students (2), Campus Security (1).

Policy for Students

Students should complete the steps listed below well in advance of the anticipated need for services and accommodations to allow for a reasonable period of time in which to evaluate those needs and requests:

  1. Students must be admitted to and/or enrolled in the University to request accommodations.
  2. Students requiring accommodations should first contact the Coordinator of Disability Services located in the GDJ Student Union, Suite 328 or call 580-745-2392. All students should be prepared to provide documentation of disabilities and needs. Documentation is subject to verification by the University. (This process remains unchanged under the ADAAA.)
  3. Requests that require special funding, such as a need for specific software, adaptive equipment, memberships to Learning Ally, etc., will be assessed for possible resources that might already provide for the request, such as Voc Rehab, TRC, DARS, TCOG, Learning Ally, Oklahoma Library for the Blind, etc. If not duplicating an available resource, the University will provide reasonable accommodations for the documented request.
  4. In conjunction with the Campus Coordinator and the faculty consultant, the Coordinator of Disability Services will make a case–by–case determination of the student’s educational need for any requested auxiliary aids, accommodations, and/or other special services determined to be necessary. These services, and equipment (if deemed appropriate), will be provided at no cost to the student.

Policy for Employees

Employees and/or job applicants who need accommodations should contact the Campus Compliance Officer (Administration Building, Room 311 or call 580-745-3090) who will verify the disability and arrange for accommodations. Employees who feel aggrieved may reference procedures in the Employee Handbook.

Grievance Procedures

Students who believe that they have experienced discrimination on the basis of a disability can seek resolution through the University’s discrimination grievance procedure. Information and consultation on these procedures are available through the Office of Student Affairs (Administration Building, Room 205 or call 580-745-2368) or the Coordinator of Disability Services (GDJ Student Union, Suite 328 or call 580-745-2392).

Faculty and staff should contact the Campus Compliance Officer (Administration Building, Room 311 or call 580-745-3090).

Revised 8/24/00
Updated by Committee 11/8/06
Revised 1/14/09 in compliance with the
ADA Amendments Act of 2008 and OCR