Housing & Residence Life

Residence Life F.A.Q.s

What is the application process for Student housing? For most students, you will need to sign into your Campus Connect account (which is made available to you after you have been admitted) and access the “housing application” link.  Be prepared to submit the $100 application fee/deposit at the end of the application process.  ---  For students who are under 18 years of age, and students who have not yet been admitted (usually includes international students who are working through the steps for international student admission), you will need to submit a paper application.  Students under 18 years of age must have a parent/guardian sign the Residence Hall & Food Services (FH&FS) Application (also called the Housing Application).  This form can be obtained from the Residence Life Office on the 3rd floor of the GDJ Student Union or from our webpage at www.se.edu/residence-life (select the “Forms & Publications” link on the right side, then scroll down to the RH&FS Agreement forms and rates. Submit the paper application, along with the $100 application fee/deposit to the Business Services Office.  The Business Services Office may be able to assist you in making a credit card payment by telephone (or a check may be mailed or payment made in person). Is there a deadline for applying for student housing? There is a priority deadline of June 15th. New RL&FS Agreements received by this date are given a priority in the room assignment process. New assignments will be made shortly after the priority deadline date, and will continue on a first come, first-served basis. It is important to begin the application process early enough to have your Agreement submitted by the priority deadline of June 15th. This will give you the best chance of getting the room/roommates that you request.  In addition, there is an opportunity for “Advanced Room Reservation” in March of each year.  Returning residents have the opportunity to reserve a specific room during the priority renewal process, which is usually held in early march.  These dates are posted throughout the halls and on the webpage in advance.  Incoming (freshmen) students have the opportunity to reserve specific rooms if they show up in person on SE’s Curriculum Contest Day (which is held each year on the 4th Thursday in March).  If the incoming student is present and submits the RL&FS Agreement forms and application fee/deposit on this date, they may reserve a specific room from those still available.  ---  RH&FS Agreements may also be turned in after June 15th, but will not receive the same level of assignment priority as those received before June 15th. What is the length of the housing agreement? Students may sign up for an Academic Term (Fall & Spring), a Full Year (Fall, Spring & Summer), Spring only, Spring & Summer or Summer only. There is no option for Fall only.  Students that plan to graduate in December must complete an Academic Term Agreement and cancel their Agreement by December 1st. See the RL&FS Agreement Terms and Conditions for additional information.  It is also important to be aware that there is a cancellation fee for those who submit a full year agreement, then subsequently decide not to live on campus for the summer. When are room assignments sent? For all RH&FS Agreements received by June 15th, room assignment will be made during the beginning of July and will be sent (via SE Student email) after July 15th. Students applying after the deadline will receive their assignment after the priority assignments have been made on a time permitting basis. It is not always possible to send room assignments to students that fail to meet the priority deadline. How are room assignments made? Assignments to a specific building or room configuration are based upon established priority guidelines and space availability. After the Advanced Room Reservations process, no assignments are made until after the June 15th deadline.  At this point, we sort first by classification (freshmen, sophomore, junior, etc), and then by date submitted.  The student with the highest classification, who submitted their application earliest, is assigned first and we work down to the students with the lowest classification (incoming freshmen students) who submitted their application latest.  Students may indicate building or community type in order of preference on the Room and Meal Plan Preference Form. In the event that your first preference is not available, we will default to your next preference and so forth. We make every effort to grant your request, but cannot always do so. If you do not indicate any preference beyond what we have available, you will be assigned to the next comparable room. Students also have the option to self-select their roommate. In the RH&FS Agreement packet, students can indicate their roommate preference. For this roommate preference to be successful, both students must indicate the same preference, select the same housing options and submit their contracts together before the June 15 priority deadline. Neither room type nor roommate preferences are guaranteed. Do I have to have a meal plan? Yes. A meal plan is required for all residential students. Students assigned to Shearer Hall & Suites have a reduced meal plan option (Lifestyles 85). If you believe you require an adaptive or altered meal plan on the basis of disability or health problems, please contact the coordinator for student disability services (580) 745-2394 [TDD# (580) 745-2704]. In VERY RARE cases (usually involving individuals who own a home and have a family elsewhere and are on campus for minimal days/week or individuals whose work and class schedule preclude them from eating during designated times), student may be granted a modification to the meal plan requirement.  Students who wish to apply for this, must submit the Meal Plan waiver form (can be found on the Residence Life webpage at www.se.edu/residence-life , go to “Forms & Publications” and scroll down to the proper form) to Residence Life, with required documentation, within the first 2 weeks of the semester. Requests are not considered approved until you receive an approval letter back from the Director of Residence Life. What happens if I decide to cancel my RH&FS Agreement (either because I decided not to attend, or to live off campus)? The RH&FS Agreement is considered a legal agreement, and must be formally cancelled in writing, using the RH&FS Agreement Cancellation form. Please consult the Terms & Conditions of the RH&FS Agreement in order to see what charges may be association with canceling. As with any housing agreement, there are financial penalties for breakage. Am I required to live on campus? Southeastern Oklahoma State University believes that there are important educational and social benefits in living on campus in the university run residence halls. Because of this conviction, Southeastern has developed a Freshmen Residency Program that requires all single, full-time (12 hours or more per semester), first time freshmen who are under the age of 20 and have earned fewer than 24 college credit hours to reside in university housing. College credit hours that have been earned while in high school do not count toward the 24 college credit hour limit. Please refer to the Freshman Residency Requirement for more information. This document and forms may be found on our webpage at www.se.edu/residence-life . What are the advantages of living on campus? There are many advantages of living on campus. These advantages range from financial, social and academic, to safety and security. Living on campus provides reasonable prices and eliminates the daily expense of commuting to campus. All utilities and services are included in one price and students are not responsible for the unmet financial obligations of their roommates. --- The social advantages of living on campus are numerous. Residential students have the opportunity to make new friendships, enjoy access to campus recreational facilities and athletic events and become involved in student organizations. Getting involved in the University is important to student success and satisfaction. Academically there are many benefits to living on campus. Residential students are within walking distance to classes, the library and other academic resources. After class meetings with professors are also facilitated. Many times classmates are neighbors within the residential facilities. This close proximity provides the opportunity to form study groups. Statistics (both nationwide and at SE) have demonstrated that students who live on campus tend to stay in school and graduate at a higher rate than students that do not live on campus. -- Living on campus provides the safety and security services that may not be found elsewhere. The SE Campus Police staff is comprised of fully licensed police officers, whose mission is the safety and security of students, faculty, and staff, and guests of the University. Officers patrol the campus 24-hours a day by automobile, golf cart, and foot patrol. Public Safety will provide an escort on campus to students at any time. Professional Residence Life staff is available 24 hours/day, 365 days/year. Are single rooms available? Shearer Hall & Suites provides private rooms for all residents. Rooms in Choctaw, Chickasaw and North Halls are designed for two students. There are a limited number of rooms in Chickasaw that are reserved as “guaranteed private rooms.”  Beyond this, usually private rooms are not available in Choctaw, Chickasaw or North Halls until after the semester has begun and all students have been assigned, and are available only on a limited basis for the fall.  There is a greater latitude to grant requests for private rooms during the spring.  Requests for private rooms are not approved until after the second week of classes. Private rooms are approved primarily on the basis of seniority within the residence hall. Students who are assigned to a double occupancy room and who would like to request a private room, must submit a “Room Change Request Form” after the 2nd week of the semester. Can I change my roommate preference after I have submitted my RH&FS Agreement? Yes, you can request to your roommate preference if: 1) the request is consented to by all parties involved, and 2) you submit the change in writing and submitted to the Residence Life Office with a signature and student ID number, or by email from the student’s SE e-mail account, along with a student ID number. Please note that if you are requesting the change AFTER the priority deadline of June 15th, it is very difficult to accommodate the request, and you may have to wait until the room change process begins during the third week of the semester. No room changes will be made after 8/1 each year, until the start of the Room Change process, after the end of the 2nd week of class. (Similar restrictions will be enforced for the spring semester assignments.) What should I bring when I move in? Students are encouraged to make their room their “Home Away From Home”. Decisions regarding large items should be discussed with your roommate in advance to avoid duplication. Below is a list of suggestions to get you started:
  • Bed linens (Extra Long)
  • Pillows
  • Towels and washcloths
  • Laundry supplies
  • Toiletries, including Toilet Paper
  • Alarm clock
  • Television
  • Clothes hangers
  • Broom and dustpan (Vacuum, for SHS residents)
  • Plunger (Shearer)
  • Stereo
  • Backpack
  • Room decorations (But, attend to restrictions regarding possible damage to walls)
  • Shower curtain(s) (Extra Long for Chickasaw, Choctaw and NH)
  • Surge Protector - Several surge protectors may be the most important thing that you bring. Durant experiences a frequent number of power surges, and the best way to protect your equipment is to use a surge protector.
  • Two larger appliances (microwave, refrigerator or micro-fridge) are permitted in each room. Microwaves may not exceed 700 watts. Refrigerators may not exceed 2.5 cubic feet. Micro-fridges are an electrically efficient combination of the two. (Please contact your potential roommate about making appropriate arrangements.) NOTE- Shearer Hall & Suites is equipped with a refrigerator and microwave in the kitchenette.
What shouldn’t I bring? While the University wants you to be comfortable in your room, there are certain items that are prohibited. Primarily, these items are prohibited because of fire safety issues. Below is a list of items that are prohibited. This list is not all-inclusive. Should you have questions about a particular item, please consult the Residence Life Handbook or contact the Department of Residence Life at (580) 745-2948.
  • Halogen lamps
  • Candles
  • Cooking appliances*
  • Charcoal grills
  • Firearms/weapons/fireworks
  • Dart boards
  • Electrical potpourri pots
  • Waterbeds
  • Flammable fluids/chemicals
  • Extensions cords or electrical splitters (power strips/surge protectors are accepted)
  • Pets (fish in a 10-gallon tank are allowed)
*Some appliances may be approved for use within the kitchenette of Shearer Hall & Suites. Students should consult their Hall Director for a list of approved items. Does the University provide insurance for student’s property?  No. We encourage each student to purchase some form of insurance (renter’s insurance or inclusion on the family homeowner’s insurance policy). What do I do if I want to change my room assignment or roommate after move-in? After the consolidation process takes place at the beginning of each semester (usually in the first three weeks), then you may submit a room change request form, which is subject to review and approval by your hall director.  If your wish to switch rooms is motivated by a roommate disagreement or other factor, we encourage you to talk to your RA and make a good faith attempt to get to know the person better.  However, if, after several weeks of trying to work things out, you both decide that it will not work, you may submit a room change request form.  (These are not accepted or worked on during the first two weeks of the semester.) What is the consolidation process like? After the end of the first week of classes, starting on the 2nd week of class, Residence Life staff administratively cancels any student who submitted a RH&FS Agreement, but has not yet checked into the halls. Once this is completed, any current resident who does not currently have a roommate, has first right to keep their room as an approved private room.  These residents will need to submit a Room Change/Private Room Request Form by 12 noon on the last day of the 2nd week of class.  After this, any residents who do not have a roommate and who are not interested in paying for a private room, will be consolidated. SE Residence Life staff tries to reassign students to the same floor, or at least to the same RA, whenever possible. Residence Life usually schedules a ROOMMATE SELECTION MEETING (look for posted signs in the residence halls) during the end of the 2ndweek or beginning of the 3rd week of classes. The purpose of this meeting is to meet other residents who will need to consolidate and try to make your own decision regarding who you will live with and where you will live.  People who attend this meeting are giving a priority over those who fail to attend, regarding forced relocation. After this, the RHD of each building will make reassignments and will notify each resident (by notice taped to the student’s room/suite door).  Once a new room assignment is made, the student will have 72 hours to complete the relocation (checking into the new room and checking out of the old room). Residents who fail to relocate within this time frame are subject to considerable additional charges. Residents who are reassigned due to a mandated relocation, and who fail to move within the specified time, may be automatically charged the full private room rate for their room and/or may be charged for occupying two rooms at the same time. Once we have completed the first round of the consolidation process (usually at the end of the 3rd week of the semester), we can then offer opportunities for some residents to either live together with a different roommate or to have an approved private room. Because this last step then opens up some spaces in rooms where we did not have space before, the process will begin again. IT IS POSSIBLE FOR A RESIDENT TO BE RELOCATED ANY TIME DURING THE FIRST 8 WEEKS OF CLASS EACH SEMESTER. After this date, we do not force relocations again until the following semester. If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact your hall director.   When do I have to pay for housing? Payment and/or payment arrangements should be made by August 1.  The RH&FS Agreement Terms & Conditions has details about payment options. Is there a curfew? No. Once you come to college, we treat you as an adult.  You do not sign in or sign out or need to be in your room by any specific time.  It is up to you to work on to develop healthy and successful habits.  However, please be aware that quiet hours start in all halls at 10pm and guest visitation hours end at 12 midnight (1am on Friday and Saturday nights). Can I live in the same room during the summer (as I lived in during the spring and fall)? Upperclassmen are generally housed in different locations (Chickasaw Hall and most of Shearer Hall & Suites) than freshmen students (housed in Choctaw Hall, North Hall, and a small portion of Shearer Hall & Suites).  Returning upper-class students usually have priority in reserving their current room, during the Advanced Room Reservation process that happens during the beginning of March (dates will be posted in halls).  Summer students are usually all housed in the same location.  This location has been the 1st floor on the south side of SHS.  Very few students will be able to stay in the same location for the fall.  However, students who are interested in this should request it as soon as possible, just in case we are able to do it. When can I move in? Move in Information Do I have to move out between the fall and spring?  Summer and fall?
  • Winter intersession (between the end of the fall semester and the beginning of the spring semester) – residents who plan to stay in the same room, may leave their personal belongings in the room (however, we do recommend that you take home any valuables).  Students who wish to remain on campus during this period, must submit an Interim Residence Hall Agreement form.  Students who do not plan to remain on campus during the winter intersession, will need to schedule a check-out (and comply with all check-out guidelines which are covered during mandatory meetings at the end of the semester).  Students who have requested a room change for the spring semester, must completely check out (and remove all personal belongings) from their fall room assignment.
  • Spring to summer interim (between the end of the spring semester and the beginning of the summer session) – residents who plan to stay on campus during this time period need to submit an Interim Residence Hall Agreement form.  We typically house all summer resident students in one location (usually SHS south, first floor).  Residents will need to relocate to the summer assignment during the interim period, usually during the 2nd week of the interim period.  The specific dates are posted in the halls and covered during mandatory closing meetings at the end of the spring semester.
  • Summer to fall interim (between the end of the summer session and beginning of the fall semester) – resident who plan to stay on campus during this time period need to submit an Interim Residence Hall Agreement form.  We typically house all summer resident students in one location (usually SHS south, first floor).  Residents will need to relocate to the fall assignment during the interim period, usually during the 2nd week of the interim period.  The specific dates are posted in the halls. Only residents who have submitted a RH&FS Agreement for the fall semester may be approved to remain on campus during this interim period. (Special arrangements may be made with the written approval of the Director of Residence Life, but will never include the last week of this interim period, as we need to get the rooms prepared for the fall residents.)
  • Spring break – this week is included in the spring room agreement.  The cafeteria is not open and there are limited services available on campus and in the residence halls.  Hall equipment may not be checked out during the spring break.
How do I get into the FIRST program?  What is the FIRST program? The FIRST program is a unique program for students receiving services through Student Support Services and who live on campus. FIRST is an acronym for  “Freshmen in Residence Succeeding Together”, and the program allows resident students to attend class with students who live on their floor in the residence halls. You may select this option on your RH&FS Agreement application/form and you will need to tell the Advisor who assists you in enrolling that you are interested in enrolling in the FIRST program courses.  If you have additional questions, please contact the Residence Life Office at 580-745-2948 or you may feel free to email Kelly D’Arcy, Director of Residence Life, at kdarcy@se.edu .  Be aware that there are a limited number of spaces available in this program and it is best to make your requests early. What if I want to live with my friend who is in a specific student group: PLC, BAND, Honors, etc? On our RH&FS Application be sure to specify the group you are a member of, and we may potentially be able to accommodate you in one of our themed residential clusters. Current designations are Aviation, PLC, Band, and Honors. Please note that North Hall residents will ONLY be members of the FIRST Program, PLC and Honors. Which meal plan should I get? That really depends on the student’s eating needs/habits.  “Lifestyle” meal plans afford the most flexibility.  Students with these meal plans purchase a total number of meals for the semester.  They can use a small number of meals one week and eat every meal in the café the next week, or even purchase meals for family and friends.  However, students who plan to eat most meals in the café, and especially some student athletes, tend to do better on the “meals per week” plans.  These plans do not afford the student as much flexibility (to share, for example), and operate on a ‘use it or lose it’ weekly basis.  (So, if the student purchases 14 meals per week, and only eats 10 meals for one week, then they lose the other 4 meals.) However, they are assured that they will continue to have meals for the entire semester.  Some students who purchase the ‘lifestyle’ type meals, have been known to use up all of their meals by mid-November, and then have no more meals left for the rest of the semester.   Most resident students purchase the LS 165 meal plan, unless they are a student who plans to eat most of their meals on campus, and then they purchase the 14 or 19 MPW plans. How many hours do I need to be enrolled in in order to live on campus? A minimum of 6 hours during the fall and spring semester. Where can I find more information?