Policies Specific to the General Education Program
The following policies concerning the General Education Program at Southeastern were developed, reviewed, and approved by the General Education Council, Academic Council, and Vice President for Academic Affairs. These policies will apply to all new students admitted to Southeastern after 1 September 2006.
- A student must have a 2.00 retention/graduation grade-point average in all general education coursework completed.
- A student must have a 2.00 retention/graduation grade-point average in all general education coursework completed at Southeastern.
- Students must successfully complete either CIS 1003 or BIM 1553 (or their equivalent at another institution of higher education), or pass the computer proficiency test at Southeastern (see description of requirements provided in item 4). One year of computer science in high school will no longer satisfy the computer proficiency requirement at Southeastern. A student must make at least a 70% with no less than 50% on any section of the computer proficiency test to pass. A student only will be able to take the test once. A student achieving at least a 70% will receive 3 semester hours of advanced standing for computer proficiency.
- A student must complete English Composition I (ENG 1113), the Math requirement, and computer proficiency in his/her first 30 hours of college coursework at Southeastern.
- A student must complete English Composition II (ENG 1213) and either Interpersonal Communication (COMM 1233) or Business and Professional Speaking (COMM 2213) within the first 45 hours of college coursework at Southeastern.