ADA Compliance

ADA Policy for Dual Enrollments or Project Agreements

In compliance with Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA)

Southeastern Oklahoma State University (SE) and other colleges and universities affiliated with SE’s Campus through dual enrollments or agreements will comply with The Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504 which states, “No otherwise qualified person with a disability in the United States…shall, solely on the basis of disability, be denied access to, or the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity provided by any institution receiving federal financial assistance.”

A collaborative effort between institutions including ADA Campus Coordinators, Coordinators of Disability Services, and Academic Vice Presidents will assure that no qualified student with a disability is denied the benefits of, excluded from participation in, or otherwise subjected to discrimination based on disability while enrolled in any course on SE’s campus. Any student needing disability services or accommodations, who is enrolled in classes offered by another institution yet housed on SE’s campus, should contact the Campus Coordinator of the enrolling institution for assistance.

A “person with a disability” is someone with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such impairment; or is regarded as having such an impairment. A qualified employee or applicant with a disability is an individual who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the job in question.

Policy for Students

Students enrolled in classes through another institution on SE’s campus should complete the steps listed below well in advance of the anticipated need for services and accommodations to allow for a reasonable period of time in which to evaluate and implement those needs and requests:

  1. Students must be admitted to SE before requesting accommodations.
  2. Students requiring accommodations should first contact the Campus Coordinator for the enrolling institution (contact SE’s Academic Affairs located in the Administration Building, Room 307, (580) 745-2200 for other institutions’ Coordinators’ offices.) For SE classes, contact the Coordinator of Disability Services, GDJ Student Union, Suite 328 or call (580) 745-2392. Documentation of disabilities and needs may be required and subject to verification by the sponsoring institution(s).
  3. In conjunction with the appropriate Coordinators of Disability Services, the enrolling institution will make a case-by-case determination of the student’s need for any requested auxiliary aids, accommodations, or special services determined to be necessary. These services will be provided at no cost to the student; however, when more than one institution is involved and costs are incurred for specific accommodations, those costs shall be provided by the enrolling institution for each particular class.
  4. The SE Campus Coordinator will address all accommodations which affect the physical structure, equipment, or furnishings of SE’s campus.

Policy for Employees of Other Institutions

Employees of other institutions who are housed on SE’s campus and need accommodations should contact the sponsoring institution’s Compliance Officer who will contact the SE Compliance Officer and collaborate to provide accommodations, if appropriate. Employees who feel aggrieved may reference grievance procedures in each institution’s Employee Handbook (PDF).

Student Grievance Procedures

Students who believe that they have experienced discrimination on the basis of a disability can seek resolution through each institution’s discrimination grievance procedure (through the enrolling institution’s Campus Coordinator’s Office). Information and consultation on SE’s available through the SE Campus Compliance Officer (SE Campus, Administration Building, Room 311 or 580-745-3090), the SE Coordinator of Disability Services (SE Campus, GDJ Student Union, Suite 328 or call 580-745-2392), and the SE Office of Student Affairs (SE Campus, Administration Building, Room 205 or call 280-745-2368). All other interested individuals should contact the Campus Compliance Officer (SE Campus, 580-745-2162, Administration Building, Room 309).

Approved by Legal Counsel 7/19/01
Approved as Policy 6/03/02
Updated by Committee 11/8/06
Revised 1/14/09 in compliance with the
ADA Amendments Act of 2008 and OCR
Updated 8/6/12