Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.
Must be integral part of study:
- Must be a requirement for ALL students in the program in order to graduate (no academic credit required) or student must be receiving academic credit for the CPT
- During CPT, students must be enrolled in and getting credit for a course. Students must pay for the course, just as they would for any other course they enroll in.
- You must receive approval from ISS
- You must be enrolled full-time for one academic year before you are eligible for CPT
- Students can include time spent in other programs of study, if there was no break between the programs.
- Exception: graduate students may begin immediately if program requires
- You are only able to work for one specific employer at a time
- You must apply for a new CPT authorization before you work for a new employer.
- Increments of no more than ONE YEAR
- NO cumulative maximum
- Must be during your academic program
- Employment can only be part-time (20 hours/week maximum) during fall and spring semesters and full-time (40 hours/week maximum) during the summer semesters.
- Exception: Students in their final semester can work full-time, with department approval. However, CPT-related credits cannot be the only credits in a student’s final semester.
- You can change the limits of part-time or full-time (e.g., from 10 hours/week to 15 hours/week) without new authorization. However, if you change from part-time to full-time (or vice-versa) you must request a new authorization.
- Full time for an aggregate one year or more ELIMINATES OPT eligibility
- Must have an offer of employment from employer
- USCIS approval is not required, ISS and academic department approval is required
- You will receive a new I-20 with CPT notation from ISS if your CPT is approved
- You must continue full-time student status
Students must make an appointment with ISS to submit:
- CPT Application
- Proof of Enrollment in a CPT-Authorized Course
- Letter from Employer
- Offer of employment
- Name and address of employer
- Number of hours per week that the student will work
- Beginning and ending employment days (must follow Southeastern academic calendar)