Skip to content

Southeastern Oklahoma State University offers On-Campus employment to hundreds of students each semester utilizing our Handshake portal.

One of the many services that Career Services provides is assistance with finding On-Campus Student employment.  Work funds and opportunities are available to students in the form of a Federal College Work-Study or University Regular Work Student Employment.

This type of employment opportunity is convenient for students due to several factors:  Proximity to campus, flexible scheduling, and the opportunity to socially network with all departments on campus.  In addition to Regular Work Employment, Career Services regularly receives job announcements from the community.

Career Services has implemented new guidelines to submit the On-Campus Student Employment application completely online through the Handshake portal.

STEP 1 – Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

To be eligible to work on campus, students MUST complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Before completing the online application, you need to know whether you qualify for University Regular Work Employment or Federal College Work-Study.

  • University Regular Work Employment – provides part-time employment for students enrolled at Southeastern.  Students are allowed to work up to 29 hours a week (amount of hours will be dependent on departmental budgets).
  • Federal College Work-Study (FCWS) – provides part-time employment for students who are enrolled at least half-time and demonstrate financial need. The maximum amount a recipient can earn under this federal program is determined by his/her financial need and availability of funds.  To be eligible, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
    • After filing for FAFSA, you can check Self-Service Financial Aid under “My Awards” to see if you have been awarded FCWS by the Financial Aid Office. If your financial aid file is complete and you are NOT awarded FCWS, you can contact the Financial Aid Office to see if you qualify.
    • You must be awarded work-study to hold a work-study position!

STEP 2 – Activate your Handshake Account!

If you have not already, ACTIVE YOUR HANDSHAKE ACCOUNT! Visit and create an account using your STUDENT email.

STEP 3 – Search Handshake for On-Campus Student Employment

New On-Campus Student positions will begin to be posted prior to each semester. Federal Work Study Eligible students will be able to view and apply for positions throughout the semester.

Open positions on campus may be search two different ways:

  1. Click JOBS – Click On-Campus filter – scroll through open positions OR
  2. Click Employers – Search Southeastern Oklahoma State University On-Campus Employment – Look for ‘Jobs at Southeastern Oklahoma State University On – Campus Employment’ box on the right side of the page – Click See All – Or click on job title to go to a specific opening

**Jobs you are interested in and want to ‘keep an eye on’ can be bookmarked so they appear first on your home page. **

STEP 4 – Apply for On-Campus Employment

Apply – Student Employment Application 

TO APPLY: Click the Apply button. You will be required to upload a completed student employment application.  Some offices may also require a resume and/or other documents. Handshake will send you information to the office/ supervisor that is hiring, who will then contact you regarding next steps. You will also receive a confirmation email that your application was received from Handshake and if another student was hired for the position, so check our email often.

Once you’ve verified the type of work you are eligible for, you are ready to complete the online Student Employment Application below. Once complete and submitted, it will go to the Supervisors of the department/position you applied for.  They will contact you with any questions about your application and to schedule an interview.

What Do You Need to Work on Campus?

For assistance with On-Campus Student Employment, contact Career Services at 580-745-2270 or