Skip to content

Residence Life FAQ

One of the best parts of the Southeastern experience is living on campus in one of our residence halls. Each hall has its own personality and traditions, and all offer you that unique collegiate experience, and introduces you to new friends, cultures, and other students who share your major or interests. See the Frequently Asked Questions listed below.

What is the application process for Student housing? Open Close

Apply to live on campus!

Click here to Apply

Follow the link above to apply to live on campus at Southeastern! Through this website you will be able to submit the housing application, sign the Housing Contract, pay any Room Reservation Fee, select your room and roommate(s), and much more! This website is the central hub for all things “Housing”!

We are only in the first phase of launching this new website; so, for the time being, you will only be able to submit the housing application, sign the Housing Contract, select your room preferences, and fill-out the roommate questionnaire (if you would like). Be watching your student email! We will soon notify you to pay the Room Reservation Fee and select your room!

Is there a deadline for applying for student housing? Open Close

There is a priority deadline of June 15th. New Housing Contracts received by this date are given a priority in the room assignment process. New assignments will be made shortly after the priority deadline date, and will continue on a first come, first-served basis. It is important to begin the application process early enough to have your Contract submitted by the priority deadline of June 15th. This will give you the best chance of getting the room/roommates that you request.

In addition, there is an opportunity for “Advanced Room Reservation” in March of each year.  Returning residents have the opportunity to reserve a specific room during the priority renewal process, which is usually held in early march.  These dates are posted throughout the halls and on the webpage in advance.  Incoming (freshmen) students have the opportunity to reserve specific rooms if they show up in person on SE’s Curriculum Contest Day (which is held each year on the 4th Thursday in March).  If the incoming student is present and submits the Housing Contract and application fee/deposit on this date, they may reserve a specific room from those still available.  —  Housing Contracts may also be turned in after June 15th, but will not receive the same level of assignment priority as those received before June 15th.

What is the length of the housing contract? Open Close

Students may sign up for an Academic Term (Fall & Spring), a Full Year (Fall, Spring & Summer), Spring only, Spring & Summer or Summer only. There is no option for Fall only.  Students that plan to graduate in December must complete an Academic Term Agreement and cancel their Agreement by December 1st. See the Housing Contract Terms and Conditions for additional information.  It is also important to be aware that there is a cancellation fee for those who submit a full year agreement, then subsequently decide not to live on campus for the summer.

When are room assignments sent? Open Close

You get to pick your room, from those available! The Housing & Residence Life Department is currently in the process of installing a new housing software called “StarRez”. Once the system goes live this summer (be watching your student email for a notification) YOU, the resident, will be able to login and hand-select your room and even who you would like your roommate to be!

Although you, the student, will get to login to our new StarRez website and select your room; we will be allowing limited access to the room and roommate selection process. Access to StarRez will be based upon established priority guidelines and space availability. We will sort access first by classification (freshmen, sophomore, junior, etc.), and then by date submitted. The student with the highest classification, who submitted their application earliest, is assigned first and we work down to the students with the lowest classification (incoming freshmen students) who submitted their application latest. Students may indicate building or community type in order of preference on the Room and Meal Plan Preference Form. In the event that your first preference is not available, we will default to your next preference and so forth. We make every effort to grant your request, but cannot always do so.

Do I have to have a meal plan? Open Close

Yes. A meal plan is required for all residential students. Students assigned to Shearer Hall & Suites have a reduced meal plan option (Lifestyles 85). If you believe you require an adaptive or altered meal plan on the basis of disability or health problems, please contact the coordinator for student disability services (580) 745-2394 [TDD# (580) 745-2704]. In VERY RARE cases (usually involving individuals who own a home and have a family elsewhere and are on campus for minimal days/week or individuals whose work and class schedule preclude them from eating during designated times), student may be granted a modification to the meal plan requirement.  Students who wish to apply for this, must submit the Meal Plan waiver form  to Residence Life, with required documentation, within the first 2 weeks of the semester. Requests are not considered approved until you receive an approval letter back from the Director of Residence Life.

What happens if I decide to cancel my Housing Contract (either because I decided not to attend, or to live off campus)? Open Close

The Housing Contract is considered a legal agreement, and must be formally cancelled in writing, using the Housing Contract cancel form. Please consult the Terms & Conditions of the Housing Contract in order to see what charges may be association with canceling. As with any housing agreement, there are financial penalties for breakage.

Am I required to live on campus? Open Close

Southeastern Oklahoma State University believes that there are important educational and social benefits in living on campus in the university run residence halls. Because of this conviction, Southeastern has developed a Freshmen Residency Program that requires all single, full-time (12 hours or more per semester), first time freshmen who are under the age of 20 and have earned fewer than 24 college credit hours to reside in university housing. College credit hours that have been earned while in high school do not count toward the 24 college credit hour limit. Please refer to the Freshman Residency Requirement for more information. This document and forms may be found on our webpage.

What are the advantages of living on campus? Open Close

There are many advantages of living on campus. These advantages range from financial, social and academic, to safety and security. Living on campus provides reasonable prices and eliminates the daily expense of commuting to campus. All utilities and services are included in one price and students are not responsible for the unmet financial obligations of their roommates.

— The social advantages of living on campus are numerous. Residential students have the opportunity to make new friendships, enjoy access to campus recreational facilities and athletic events and become involved in student organizations. Getting involved in the University is important to student success and satisfaction.

Academically there are many benefits to living on campus. Residential students are within walking distance to classes, the library and other academic resources. After class meetings with professors are also facilitated. Many times classmates are neighbors within the residential facilities. This close proximity provides the opportunity to form study groups. Statistics (both nationwide and at SE) have demonstrated that students who live on campus tend to stay in school and graduate at a higher rate than students that do not live on campus.

— Living on campus provides the safety and security services that may not be found elsewhere. The SE Campus Police staff is comprised of fully licensed police officers, whose mission is the safety and security of students, faculty, and staff, and guests of the University. Officers patrol the campus 24-hours a day by automobile, golf cart, and foot patrol. Public Safety will provide an escort on campus to students at any time. Professional Residence Life staff is available 24 hours/day, 365 days/year.

Are single rooms available? Open Close

Shearer Hall & Suites provides private rooms for all residents. Rooms in Choctaw, Chickasaw and North Halls are designed for two students. There are a limited number of rooms in Chickasaw that are reserved as “guaranteed private rooms.”  Beyond this, usually private rooms are not available in Choctaw, Chickasaw or North Halls until after the semester has begun and all students have been assigned, and are available only on a limited basis for the fall.  There is a greater latitude to grant requests for private rooms during the spring.  Requests for private rooms are not approved until after the second week of classes. Private rooms are approved primarily on the basis of seniority within the residence hall. Students who are assigned to a double occupancy room and who would like to request a private room, must submit a “Room Change Request Form” after the 2nd week of the semester.

Can I change my roommate preference after I have submitted my Housing Contract? Open Close

Yes, you can request to your roommate preference if: 1) the request is consented to by all parties involved, and 2) you submit the change in writing and submitted to the Residence Life Office with a signature and student ID number, or by email from the student’s SE e-mail account, along with a student ID number. Please note that if you are requesting the change AFTER the priority deadline of June 15th, it is very difficult to accommodate the request, and you may have to wait until the room change process begins during the third week of the semester. No room changes will be made after 8/1 each year, until the start of the Room Change process, after the end of the 2nd week of class. (Similar restrictions will be enforced for the spring semester assignments.)

What should I bring when I move in? Open Close

Students are encouraged to make their room their “Home Away From Home”. Decisions regarding large items should be discussed with your roommate in advance to avoid duplication. Below is a list of suggestions to get you started:

  • Bed linens (Extra Long)
  • Pillows
  • Towels and washcloths
  • Laundry supplies
  • Toiletries, including Toilet Paper
  • Alarm clock
  • Television
  • Clothes hangers
  • Broom and dustpan (Vacuum, for SHS residents)
  • Plunger (Shearer)
  • Stereo
  • Backpack
  • Room decorations (But, attend to restrictions regarding possible damage to walls)
  • Shower curtain(s) (Extra Long for Chickasaw, Choctaw and NH)
  • Surge Protector – Several surge protectors may be the most important thing that you bring. Durant experiences a frequent number of power surges, and the best way to protect your equipment is to use a surge protector.
  • Two larger appliances (microwave, refrigerator or micro-fridge) are permitted in each room. Microwaves may not exceed 700 watts. Refrigerators may not exceed 2.5 cubic feet. Micro-fridges are an electrically efficient combination of the two. (Please contact your potential roommate about making appropriate arrangements.)

NOTE- Shearer Hall & Suites is equipped with a refrigerator and microwave in the kitchenette.

What shouldn't I bring? Open Close

While the University wants you to be comfortable in your room, there are certain items that are prohibited. Primarily, these items are prohibited because of fire safety issues. Below is a list of items that are prohibited. This list is not all-inclusive. Should you have questions about a particular item, please consult the Residence Life Handbook or contact the Department of Residence Life at 580.745.2948.

  • Halogen lamps
  • Candles
  • Cooking appliances*
  • Charcoal grills
  • Firearms/weapons/fireworks
  • Dart boards
  • Electrical potpourri pots
  • Waterbeds
  • Flammable fluids/chemicals
  • Extensions cords or electrical splitters (power strips/surge protectors are accepted)
  • Pets (fish in a 10-gallon tank are allowed)

*Some appliances may be approved for use within the kitchenette of Shearer Hall & Suites. Students should consult their Hall Director for a list of approved items.

What appliances are allowed in Shearer Hall & Suites? Open Close


All approved appliances will be subject to use which does not negatively impact the residential community (i.e.-excessive smells, causing smoke detectors or fire alarms to signal, failure to maintain clean appliances, etc.) 


  • Electric Grill (like the George Foreman Grill) 
  • Coffee/tea maker 
  • Crock Pot (except Rival Crock pots) 
  • Electric Hot Pot 
  • Mixer 
  • Blender 
  • Electric Griddle 
  • Waffle iron 
  • Regular toaster 
  • Bread makers
  • Hot Air Popcorn Maker 
  • Closed coil sandwich maker (no open heating elements)
  • Electric Skillet – with no open coils & no more than 2” deep 


  • Any open coil appliance 
  • Hot Plate 
  • Halogen lights 
  • Fry Daddy 
  • RIVAL brand Crock Pots – added 8/1/05 per safety recall 

All other appliances require prior written approval from the Director of Housing & Residence Life. (All requests must be submitted in writing at the Office of Residence Life. Expect a minimum of one week for review. Items are not approved unless they have been approved in writing.) 

REMINDER: This list of approved appliances applies to Shearer Hall & Suites ONLY.

Does the University provide insurance for student’s property? Open Close

No. We encourage each student to purchase some form of insurance (renter’s insurance or inclusion on the family homeowner’s insurance policy).

What do I do if I want to change my room assignment or roommate after move-in? Open Close

After the consolidation process takes place at the beginning of each semester (usually in the first three weeks), then you may submit a room change request form, which is subject to review and approval by your hall director.  If your wish to switch rooms is motivated by a roommate disagreement or other factor, we encourage you to talk to your RA and make a good faith attempt to get to know the person better.  However, if, after several weeks of trying to work things out, you both decide that it will not work, you may submit a room change request form.  (These are not accepted or worked on during the first two weeks of the semester.)

What is the consolidation process like? Open Close

After the end of the first week of classes, starting on the 2nd week of class, Residence Life staff administratively cancels any student who submitted a RH&FS Agreement, but has not yet checked into the halls. Once this is completed, any current resident who does not currently have a roommate, has first right to keep their room as an approved private room.  These residents will need to submit a Room Change/Private Room Request Form by 12 noon on the last day of the 2nd week of class.  After this, any residents who do not have a roommate and who are not interested in paying for a private room, will be consolidated.

SE Residence Life staff tries to reassign students to the same floor, or at least to the same RA, whenever possible. Residence Life usually schedules a ROOMMATE SELECTION MEETING (look for posted signs in the residence halls) during the end of the 2nd week or beginning of the 3rd week of classes. The purpose of this meeting is to meet other residents who will need to consolidate and try to make your own decision regarding who you will live with and where you will live.  People who attend this meeting are giving a priority over those who fail to attend, regarding forced relocation. After this, the RHD of each building will make reassignments and will notify each resident (by notice taped to the student’s room/suite door).

Once a new room assignment is made, the student will have 72 hours to complete the relocation (checking into the new room and checking out of the old room). Residents who fail to relocate within this time frame are subject to considerable additional charges. Residents who are reassigned due to a mandated relocation, and who fail to move within the specified time, may be automatically charged the full private room rate for their room and/or may be charged for occupying two rooms at the same time.

Once we have completed the first round of the consolidation process (usually at the end of the 3rd week of the semester), we can then offer opportunities for some residents to either live together with a different roommate or to have an approved private room. Because this last step then opens up some spaces in rooms where we did not have space before, the process will begin again. IT IS POSSIBLE FOR A RESIDENT TO BE RELOCATED ANY TIME DURING THE FIRST 8 WEEKS OF CLASS EACH SEMESTER. After this date, we do not force relocations again until the following semester. If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact your hall director.

When do I have to pay for housing? Open Close

Payment and/or payment arrangements should be made by August 15 (effective July 1, 2019).  The Housing Contract Terms & Conditions has details about payment options.

Is there a curfew? Open Close

No. Once you come to college, we treat you as an adult.  You do not sign in or sign out or need to be in your room by any specific time.  It is up to you to work on to develop healthy and successful habits.  However, please be aware that quiet hours start in all halls at 10pm and guest visitation hours end at 12 midnight (1am on Friday and Saturday nights).

Can I live in the same room during the summer (as I lived in during the spring and fall)? Open Close

Upperclassmen are generally housed in different locations (Chickasaw Hall and most of Shearer Hall & Suites) than freshmen students (housed in Choctaw Hall, North Hall, and a small portion of Shearer Hall & Suites).

Returning upper-class students usually have priority in reserving their current room, during the Advanced Room Reservation process that happens during the beginning of March (dates will be posted in halls).

Summer students are usually all housed in the same location.  This location has been the 1st floor on the south side of SHS.  Very few students will be able to stay in the same location for the fall.  However, students who are interested in this should request it as soon as possible, just in case we are able to do it.

Do I have to move out between the fall and spring? Summer and fall? Open Close

Winter intersession (between the end of the fall semester and the beginning of the spring semester) – residents who plan to stay in the same room, may leave their personal belongings in the room (however, we do recommend that you take home any valuables).  Students who wish to remain on campus during this period, must submit an Intersession Residence Hall Agreement form.  Students who do not plan to remain on campus during the winter intersession, will need to schedule a check-out (and comply with all check-out guidelines which are covered during mandatory meetings at the end of the semester).  Students who have requested a room change for the spring semester, must completely check out (and remove all personal belongings) from their fall room assignment.

Spring to summer intersession (between the end of the spring semester and the beginning of the summer session) – residents who plan to stay on campus during this time period need to submit an Intersession Residence Hall Agreement form.  We typically house all summer resident students in one location (usually SHS south, first floor).  Residents will need to relocate to the summer assignment during the interim period, usually during the 2nd week of the interim period.  The specific dates are posted in the halls and covered during mandatory closing meetings at the end of the spring semester.

Summer to fall intersession (between the end of the summer session and beginning of the fall semester) – resident who plan to stay on campus during this time period need to submit an Intersession Residence Hall Agreement form.  We typically house all summer resident students in one location (usually SHS south, first floor).  Residents will need to relocate to the fall assignment during the intersession period, usually during the 2nd week of the intersession period.  The specific dates are posted in the halls. Only residents who have submitted a RH&FS Agreement for the fall semester may be approved to remain on campus during this intersession period. (Special arrangements may be made with the written approval of the Director of Residence Life, but will never include the last week of this intersession period, as we need to get the rooms prepared for the fall residents.)

Spring break – this week is included in the spring room agreement.  The cafeteria is not open and there are limited services available on campus and in the residence halls.  Hall equipment may not be checked out during the spring break.

How do I get into the FIRST program? What is the FIRST program? Open Close

The FIRST program is a unique program for students receiving services through Student Support Services and who live on campus. FIRST is an acronym for  “Freshmen in Residence Succeeding Together”, and the program allows resident students to attend class with students who live on their floor in the residence halls. You may select this option on your RH&FS Agreement application/form and you will need to tell the Advisor who assists you in enrolling that you are interested in enrolling in the FIRST program courses.  If you have additional questions, please contact the Residence Life Office at 580.745.2948 or you may feel free to email Kelly D’Arcy, Director of Residence Life, at .  Be aware that there are a limited number of spaces available in this program and it is best to make your requests early.

What if I want to live with my friend who is in a specific student group: PLC, BAND, Honors, etc? Open Close

On our RH&FS Application be sure to specify the group you are a member of, and we may potentially be able to accommodate you in one of our themed residential clusters. Current designations are Aviation, PLC, Band, and Honors. Please note that North Hall residents will ONLY be members of the FIRST Program, PLC and Honors.

Which meal plan should I get? Open Close

That really depends on the student’s eating needs/habits.  “Lifestyle” meal plans afford the most flexibility.  Students with these meal plans purchase a total number of meals for the semester.  They can use a small number of meals one week and eat every meal in the café the next week, or even purchase meals for family and friends.  However, students who plan to eat most meals in the café, and especially some student athletes, tend to do better on the “meals per week” plans.  These plans do not afford the student as much flexibility (to share, for example), and operate on a ‘use it or lose it’ weekly basis.  (So, if the student purchases 10 meals per week, and only eats 6 meals for one week, then they lose the other 4 meals.) However, they are assured that they will continue to have meals for the entire semester.  Some students who purchase the ‘lifestyle’ type meals, have been known to use up all of their meals by mid-November, and then have no more meals left for the rest of the semester.   Most resident students purchase the Flex Choice 7 meal plan, unless they are a student who plans to eat most of their meals on campus, and then they purchase the 10 or Unlimited plans.

How many hours do I need to be enrolled in in order to live on campus? Open Close

A minimum of 6 hours during the fall and spring semester.

Where can I find more information? Open Close
  • The Residence Life office at the Glen D. Johnson Student Union Building, room 311.
  • The Residence Life main office phone is 580.745.2948.
  • Send us an email at
  • For information about billing and payment: The Business Services office phone is: 580.745.2850
  • Follow us on social media: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram