Skip to content

General Information

Definition of Credit Hours

The credit hour policy at Southeastern applies to all undergraduate and graduate courses that award academic credit which appears on an official University transcript.  This policy is in accord with federal regulations and Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education policy; a credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is reasonably achieved in one of the following ways:

1. A credit hour for a standard, face-to-face course includes at least one Carnegie hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and at least two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately sixteen weeks for one semester or an equivalent amount of work for a different amount of time.

2. A credit hour for a distance education course (hybrid or 100% online) includes not less than three hours of student time per credit hour for each week for approximately sixteen weeks for one semester or an equivalent amount of work for a different amount of time; however, the ratio of faculty-directed instruction to out-of-class student work may vary across the different course types.  Distance education courses must have regular, faculty-initiated interaction with students, meet the same student learning outcomes, and use comparable student assessments as the equivalent face-to-face course.

3. A credit hour for other types of academic activities such, as but not limited to, laboratory work, practicum, internships, and studio work include academic activities as established by the institution to demonstrate at least an equivalent amount of work as required for the standard credit hour.

Course Numbering and Credit Hour Information

Courses are numbered so as to indicate the degree of advancement. In general, courses numbered lowest are those which should be completed first. Zero-level courses (i.e., MATH 0123) are remedial and do not count as college credit hours in meeting academic/degree requirements. Courses with numbers beginning in the 1000 and 2000 series are lower-division and considered designed for freshman and sophomore students. Courses with numbers in the 3000 and 4000 series are upper-division level to be taken by junior and senior students. Courses numbered in the 5000 series are for graduate students only. Students should also be aware that the last digit of the course number indicates the amount of semester-credit-hours awarded for the course completion. For example, ENG 1113 is a three-hour course while EDUC 4332 is a two-hour course.

Online Pre–enrollment

Students should contact their academic advisor prior enrollment to have their advising hold removed.

Course Cancellations

Southeastern Oklahoma State University reserves the right to cancel any course for which the enrollment is insufficient. If this becomes necessary, students will be notified by the department and may adjust their schedule without penalty or receive a full refund of tuition and fees. Course cancellations will be noted on the web at the course schedules.

Room Assignments

Room assignments will be listed on the semester bill and also available on the web after the billing date and before the start of each semester.

Course Additions/Revisions

Other changes to course listings will be noted on the web at the course schedules. The schedule listed on the web will be the most current version.


All instructor assignments in the Schedule of Classes are tentative and are subject to change based on class enrollment and other factors. Enrollment in a class does not guarantee the instructor listed will teach the class.

Change in Resident Status

Any student requesting a change of residency status should file a petition and all documentation supporting a change in the Registrar’s Office by the last day to enroll in a class and/or drop a class with no record. An information sheet and petition to determine residency may be obtained from the Registrar’s Office (A100). (Refer to the Undergraduate Bulletin for additional information.)

Extra-institutional Credit

Extra-institutional credit (non–formal credit) is credit granted through means other than the completion of formal college–level courses. Southeastern offers various ways extra-institutional credit can be granted. Testing is one means of evaluating extra-institutional learning. Testing methods include institutionally prepared examinations, institutionally administered performance testing, and standardized national tests especially designed for the establishment of credit. Extra-institutional credit can also be granted for non–collegiate sponsored instruction (e.g., military training/learning, etc.).


Extra-institutional credit (non-formal credit) earned through any of the following methods must be validated by successful completion of 12 or more semester hours of academic work at Southeastern Oklahoma State University and will be recorded on the transcript only if the student is currently enrolled.

Grading: All credit through non-formal means will be recorded with a grade of “P”. Only those courses for which the minimum passing score is attained will be recorded.

Maximum Credit: Maximum non-formal credit accepted depends on the type of degree program a student is pursuing:

For non–education degree programs (B.A. or B.S.), the amount of extra-institutional credit (advanced standing, CLEP, AP, correspondence, military training, etc.) which may be awarded shall not exceed one–half of the total semester hours required at the lower–division level, and not more than one–half of the total semester hours required at the upper–division level for the B.A. and B.S. degrees.

For education degree programs (B.A. or B.S.), not more than one–fourth of the work used to satisfy requirements in any area of preparation (professional education, general education, specialized education) nor more than one–fourth of the total academic work submitted in an approved teacher–certificate program may be taken by non–formal study (advanced standing, CLEP, AP, correspondence, military training, etc.).

Types of non-formal credit available at Southeastern include:

  • CLEP
  • Advanced Placement (AP)
  • Departmental Advanced Standing Examinations
  • ACE College Credit Recommendation Service
  • Military Training Credit

Detailed information regarding non-formal credit, including a list of CLEP and AP tests accepted by Southeastern, is found in the current academic catalog. The minimum score required for receiving college credit for an AP test is three.

Any additional questions regarding non-formal credit may be directed to the Registrar’s Office at 580–745–2165.

Acceptance of Transfer Credit

Southeastern Oklahoma State University accepts all credits earned at 2 and 4 year institutions that are accredited by the institutional accrediting associations. Transfer credits are accepted and applied to degree pro­grams generally in accordance with the recommendations in the Transfer Credit Practices Guide published by AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admis­sions Officers).Once a student is currently enrolled in course work at Southeastern, transfer credits will be recorded from the official transcript of each institutionally accredited institution attended by the student.  All coursework attempted by the student will be recorded. Students are required to submit official transcripts from all institutions attended regardless of credit earned and/or applicability to their degree plan. Course equivalencies and acceptance in a degree plan are determined by the Academic Departments and the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education Course Equivalency Project.

Immunization Policy

Oklahoma state law (Oklahoma statute, Title 70 §3244) requires that all students who attend an Oklahoma college or university provide documentation of immunization against hepatitis B, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR). Meningococcal vaccination is required for students living in campus housing.

The law requires institutions to notify students of the immunization requirements and provide students with educational information concerning these diseases, including risks and benefits of vaccinations. More information is available here:

The law permits that when the vaccine is medically contraindicated and a licensed physician has signed a written statement to that effect, such students shall be exempt from the immunization. Further, the law permits a student or if the student is a minor, the student’s parent or legal guardian, to sign a written waiver stating that the administration of the vaccine conflicts with the student’s moral or religious tenets.

Inclement Weather

Students may call the following numbers for closing information due to inclement weather:

Off–Campus: 580-745–2000 (Option 9) On–Campus: ext. 2000 (Option 9)

If possible, the decision to close will be made the evening before prior to the ten o’clock news and no later than 6:00 a.m. the morning of the possible closing. Closings will be broadcast on local radio and television stations.

Student Disability Services

Students requiring accommodations and/or assistance due to a physical, mental, or learning disability should contact the Coordinator of Student Disability Services by calling (580) 745–2394 or TDD (580)745–2704. It is the responsibility of each student to make an official request to the Coordinator for academic accommodations. Documentation of a disability can be subject to verification by the University. SOSU complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

Student’s Rights to Privacy

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  • The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.Students should submit to the Vice President for Student Services written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate.Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate. They should write the University officials responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate.If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.Upon request, the University discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Southeastern Oklahoma State University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:
    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202–4605
  • The right to request that the following directory information pertaining to them not be published.The law requires that written approval from the student is necessary before granting access to or releasing educational records to a third party, except in the case of directory information and in response to a Federal Grand Jury subpoena. Other exceptions are listed in #3 of the Notification of Rights section.Directory information is a category of information and does not refer to a publication known as a “directory.” Students have the right to refuse the release of information which has been identified as directory information. However, if the student chooses to exercise that right, he or she must appear in person in the Office of the Registrar and sign a form stipulating that information not be released. This form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the last day to add a class for that semester.Information that Southeastern Oklahoma State University has declared to be directory information is listed below:
    • Student’s name
    • Local and permanent addresses
    • Telephone number
    • Date of birth
    • Place of birth
    • Last school attended
    • Major field of study
    • Academic classification
    • Participation in officially recognized organizations, activities and sports
    • Dates of attendance at Southeastern Oklahoma State University
    • Degree(s) held, date granted, and institution(s) granting such degree(s)
    • Enrollment status (full, part–time, undergraduate, graduate)
    • Awards granted (Honor Rolls, Who’s Who, etc.)
    • Photographs
    • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
    • Electronic mail address
    • Students may obtain a copy of the institutional policy relating to FERPA in the Office for Student Services, Administration Building, Room

Non-HS Graduates May Earn High School Diploma

Any Oklahoma Resident may be awarded a high school diploma by the Oklahoma State Department of Education upon the successful completion of at least thirty (30) hours of college work at an accredited college or university.  Title 70 O.S. § 24-116.    For more information, please visit the Oklahoma State Department of Education website.