Faculty Senate Shared Governance Forum
Shared Governance Forum:
This meeting is a meeting with the President of the University (or his/her designee) with the general faculty though the Faculty Senate. These meetings will be held–at a minimum—two times in each of the Fall and Spring semesters. The purpose of the meetings is to establish lines of communication between the administration and the faculty of the University. Further, the purpose is to share information about specific areas of concern of both the faculty and the administration of the university in order to resolve specific issues. While concrete solutions may not be possible in the forum, solutions to the issues should be sought and action (where and when possible) be implemented at the earliest possible time.
Two forums will be held each semester. The topic for one forum will be determined by the President and the topic for the other forum will be determined by the Chair of the Faculty Senate. The Faculty Senate Chair will then arrange (date, time, place) the meeting and agenda between the President and the Faculty Senate (all faculty will be notified and invited to attend the meetings). Faculty will be informed of the topics for the meeting at least two weeks prior to the meeting. While members of the faculty are encouraged to actively participate at the meeting, it is recognized that not all faculty may be able to attend. In such circumstance, the faculty senators may represent or speak for members of the faculty at the faculty member’s request. The agenda sequence will alternate between the President’s topic and the Faculty Senate’s topic. A report of this meeting will be part of the Faculty Senate Executive Committee report to the Faculty Senate. The report will be sent to the President for review prior to publication of the report on the website.
For more information on how SE’s Shared Governance is Structured please visit the President’s Statement on Shared Governance page
Forum Documents and Links to Recordings
Upcoming: October 17th, 2023
The next Shared Governance Forum is slated for 10/17/2023 at 2pm in Classroom Building, Rm 118 (Zoom link will be provided via email). It will be hosted by the Faculty Senate and will also focus on the upcoming HLC visit.
September 19, 2023
This forum was hosted by the Administration and it provided information pertaining to the upcoming HLC visit. Dr Golden and Dr. Ronnenberg asked all to review and provide feedback on the draft documents which will make up the Assurance Report. Dr. Ronnenberg sent out an email regarding this process earlier today, 9/25/2023. *Please note: Feedback must be submitted by 5 pm on Friday (9/29).
Here is the link to the recording for the september 19th, 2023 Shared Governance Forum: https://se-edu.zoom.us/rec/share/Fi64zUcxeRCTriPH_oYSEzTL75N-rymaqUyOIuCdyHiUTeot_kuW8LzwoZxsC1-l.gBNUW9Dxpgt75qus?startTime=1695149925000
A Conversation on Specific Areas of Concern with Chat GPT: A Panel Discussion hosted by Faculty Senate. A campus discussion about the new advancements in AI technology known as ChatGPT was held in liue of a Shared Governance Forum.
This Shared Governance Forum was hosted by Faculty Senate and the topic of discussion was on compensation. It was to inform the faculty body, staff, and administration of the ongoing conversation about how best to raise the level of faculty compensation and to seek feedback from the entire faculty body at this time.
- Shared Governance Forum Becoming a Student-Ready College (linked to a recording). Topic chosen by the FS with presentation done by the Faculty Senate Survey Report ad hoc committee (Kate Shannon, Matt Sparacio, Andy Kramer, Jeri Walker).
- Shared Governance Forum, “HLC Quality Initiative Proposal” (Linked to a recording. Forum proper begins at 11:00). The topic was chosen by the Administration, and the presentation was led by President Thomas Newsom and VPAA Teresa Golden (HLC QI Proposal).
- Shared Governance Forum, “Growing Pains: Stories from the Trenches” presented by the Faculty Senate (Presentation slideshow).
- Shared Governance Forum, “The Anthology (Campus Labs) Course Review System: Q & A and Discussion about Best Practices Going Forward” (Linked to a recording and transcript. Forum proper begins at 9:20). The topic was chosen by the Administration, and the presentation was led by Bryanna Allsbury, Administrative Associate/Assessment Coordinator (presentation outline).
- Shared Governance Forum: “What Does Shared Governance Look Like? A Presentation with President Newsom” (Linked to a recording and transcript. Forum proper begins at 7:42). President Newsom’s presentation outline.
- Shared Governance Forum: Faculty Salary Compensation: It’s the Right Thing to Do! (Linked to a recording and transcript. Forum proper begins at 13:52). Topic chosen by the Faculty Senate and presentation led by the Budget Committee. Presentation slideshow
- Notes of the Shared Governance Forum, a panel presentation Sabbaticals: Why and How You Should Take (topic chosen by the Faculty Senate). Panelists: Dr. Meg Cotter-Lynch, Dr. Charla Hall, Dr. Doug Wood, Dr. Jeri Walker, and Dr. Dan Althoff served as the moderator.
- Shared Governance Forum Notes: Quality Initiative Proposal (topic chosen by the Administration), held on September 30, presentation delivered by AVPAA Dr. Teresa Golden. (PowerPoint presentation outline)
- Shared Governance Forum Notes: What we need in the next president: Swipe right (topic chosen by the Faculty Senate), held on November 12, presentation delivered by FS Chair Dr. Randy Clark (PowerPoint presentation outline). Topic chosen based on a survey of faculty interests for the forum (Survey Results).
- Shared Governance Forum “Budget Planning: All the Moving Pieces” (topic chosen by the administration) was held on Tuesday, February 19, 2019. PowerPoint slides used by VPAA Bryon Clark for the presentation. (SE Budgeting Timeline)
- Notes from the Shared Governance Forum of November 13. “Improving Pay for Adjunct Faculty,” topic chosen by the Faculty Senate.