Southeastern recognizes Top 10 Freshmen
November 3, 2020
Southeastern president Thomas Newsom stands with the Top 10 Freshman Award recipients: Delanie Cooper, MeKenzie Cruz, Madison Hunt, Charisma Lacy-Ray, Marli Nagel, Daniel Hair, and Oliver Spiller. Not pictured, Andre “Dee’’ Johnson II, Karsyn McKinnon, and Josie Frazier.
DURANT, Okla. – Southeastern Oklahoma State University recognized the recipients of the Top 10 Freshman Award recently. The awards are based on academics, leadership, campus involvement, and letters of recommendation, and are presented to students who were freshmen in 2019.
Following are the Top 10 Freshman Award recipients:
- MeKenzie Aileen Cruz, from Tulsa, is a double major in Theater Management and Acting and Directing. She is a member of the of the 2019-2020 President’s Leadership Class, and has participated in the Savage Storm Leadership Program, Student Government Association, Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority, Treasurer for Alumni Legacy Leaders, and the Theater Department.
- Marli Nagel of Clayton is pursuing a Pre-Med degree. A member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma, she currently serves as a Teacher’s Assistant in the Biology Department. Nagel is a member of the Honors Program and the Pre-Med Club, as well as the OKLSAMP Program.
- Josie E. Frazier is from Hugo and is working on an English Education degree with a minor in Communications. She is a member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma. Frazier is a member of the 2019-2020 President’s Leadership Class, and is also active with Alpha Sigma Tau Sorority, Alumni Legacy Leader, and Gay and Straight Alliance Club. While working for the Campus Note, Frazier also volunteers for the Voice of Hope Suicide Prevention and Awareness, Peer Education Support Group for Stress Management, and J127 Ministries.
- Karsyn McKinnon of Healdton is pursuing a degree in Psychology. She is a member of the 2019-2020 President’s Leadership Class and is the President of North Hall Committee and Alumni Legacy Leader. McKinnon also serves as the Vice President of Growth for Alpha Sigma Tau.
- Daniel Patrick Hair, from Lewisville, Texas, is enrolled in Aviation and studying to be a Professional Pilot. He is a member of the 2019-2020 President’s Leadership Class, a Senator for the Student Government Association, and an Alumni Legacy Leader. Hair is currently the Captain of the Flight Team.
- Charisma Lacy-Ray of Duncanville, Texas, is working on a degree in Vocal Music Performance. She is also a member of Southeastern’s Track and Field Team. Lacy-Ray is involved with the Southeastern Chorale and the Choral Union, and was a volunteer for Relay for Life.
- Madison L. Hunt, from Lone Grove, is in the Pre-Med degree program and plans to be a dentist. A member of the 2019-2020 President’s Leadership Class, Hunt’s activities include being on the Savage Storm Cheer Team, Student Government Association, and Alumni Legacy Leader.
- Oliver Spiller of Fredericksburg, Virginia, is pursuing a degree in Aviation as a Professional Pilot. He is a member of the Cherokee Nation, and a member of the 2019-2020 President’s Leadership Class. Spiller is a Alumni Legacy Leader, and also spends time volunteering for J127 Ministries in Durant. He is also a leader for the Student Bible Center.
- Andre “Dee” Johnson II, is from Red Oak, Texas, and is studying business. He is a captain of the Southeastern Savage Storm football team and a Representative for SAAC. Johnson has also been appointed to the University’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee.
- Delanie Brooke Cooper of Colbert is pursuing a degree in Biology. A member of the 2019-2020 President’s Leadership Class, Cooper is a Council Representative for Alumni Legacy Leaders, Senator for Student Government Association, North Hall Council Member, and Resident Assistant for Shearer Hall. Other activities includes Pre-Med Club, Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority, and Baptist Collegiate Ministry.