Southeastern Aviation Flight Team competes in National Competition
May 18, 2022
The Southeastern Oklahoma State University Competitive Flight Team recently placed 13th in a national competition of the 28 largest University flight programs in the United States.
This highly competitive annual National Intercollegiate Flying Association’s (NIFA) 2022 SAFECON featured competitive events such as precision navigation, aircraft recognition, accuracy landings, and simulation events with expert industry judges officiating the competition and scoring. The event, hosted by the Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, featured more than 500 competitors.
“I am exceptionally proud of our team, especially knowing this was the first national competition for the majority of the team, ” said Southeastern’s Chief Flight Instructor and team coach Kyle Thomas.
Southeastern will be hosting the regional competitions in October 2022 in Durant.
Following were the top finishers from Southeastern:
Top 10 finishes
- Traditional Navigation 5th Place Trey Bradshaw and Kyle Lyons
Top 20 finishes
- Traditional Navigation 16thPlace Justin Nichols and Joseph Roberts
- Top Pilot 14thPlace Trey Bradshaw
- Message Drop 16thPlace Danilynn Brown and Joseph Roberts
- Power Off Landings 13thPlace Justin Nichols
- Short Field Landings 18thPlace Mackenzie Kraus
- CRM Loft 20th Place Mackenzie Kraus and Daniel Hair